Mission, Philosophy, & Beliefs
We, the St. Mary Catholic School Community, are a parish parochial educational institution built on a strong heritage that challenges us to high expectations in Christian values as well as in academic, service, and extra-curricular areas. Our Catholic school environment, which is open to all young people, nurtures the goal that we as students, family, staff and parish are to be lifelong contributing members of the Church and society.
Philosophy of St. Mary School
It is the role of St. Mary school to aid parents in educating their children in developing their potential as complete persons. . . spiritually, morally, mentally, academically, socially, and physically. . . in order to be able to grow into mature Christian citizens in the Catholic tradition.
We believe that the spiritual growth of the child is developed in many ways. It begins at home; the school and the community further enhance it. Christ’s teachings will always be the basis of the religion program at St. Mary and will always permeate all areas of the curriculum and extra-curricular activities. Jesus’ message will be taught specifically, and His love will be celebrated in our liturgical life and in our daily service to others.
We believe that each child is a unique individual. Because of this belief, we strive to meet each child’s needs by providing students with a faith perspective from which to view their education.
We do this by:
- maintaining academic excellence
- using various teaching methods
- individualizing instruction within the curriculum
- presenting the cultural aspects of life
- And by evaluating progress and effort as well as achievement
We strive to help students develop their expressive ideas and qualities. We believe that a child’s social development begins in the home. It is our responsibility, alongside parents, to serve as positive role models to help insure that those children under our charge develop social behaviors that will enable them to live self-disciplined and generous lives, reaching beyond themselves in service to others.
Living Our Beliefs
Based on the philosophy of St. Mary School, this is how we try to live our beliefs:
- We believe our students will be educated in character and in conscience to be steadfast in their faith.
- We believe in providing a comprehensive and challenging curriculum that develops the whole child.
- We believe that a student’s self-esteem is built with high standards and recognition of personal responsibility and accomplishment.
- We believe that the Church and our Catholic school support and challenge the parents in their role as the primary educators of their children.
- We believe in the appreciation and understanding of different races, religions, cultures and learning styles.
- We believe in promoting a safe and respectful learning environment.